The Library Is More Than Books
In addition to library materials, the library offers Internet access on 8 public computers plus laptops and iPads for use with wireless access and we can provide photocopies, faxes, laminating, and scanning.
Programs for children and adults are planned on a regular basis including Summer Reading Program, Preschool story time, back-to-school reading project, and various projects through the Oklahoma Arts Council and the Oklahoma Humanities Council. Thousands of downloadable eBooks and audio books are available through the our website and Ok Virtual Library.
The library staff consists of Head Librarian and Director Terri Crawford, Assistant Librarian Sharon Barnes, Children’s Librarian Karen Gilliland, and part-time circulation clerks Brenda Stein and Elaine Greer. The library attempts to maintain hours, which are convenient to the public including 9 hours after traditional working hours per week. The Library is open 9-6 M-F and 9-1 on Saturday.
We’ll keep improving and serving our community.
The Watonga Public Library will provide free public access to books and other materials which will enhance informal self-education, formal educational research, and quality of life for the community of Watonga. The library will serve as a bridge providing access to information and services not available at the local level through Interlibrary Loan and Internet access. The library offers access to ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines online.
The Watonga Public Library has a long and rich history. The library was started in 1906 through the efforts of Mrs. T. B. Ferguson, wife of Oklahoma’s 6th Territorial Governor and a small group of concerned women including Mrs. A. W. Sunderland, Mrs. E. E. McCord, Mrs. Isabelle Piper and others and contained about 1,100 books.
By 1929, Watonga became a city and by 1930 the library had grown enough to move to the basement of City Hall. In a newspaper article dated 1931, the library reported total books in the library as 2,059.
In August of 1961, the library moved into the converted building which was formerly the building which housed the 1st and 2nd grade classrooms. In 1973 the building was remodeled and enlarged to hold the increasing volume of books. A meeting room, entry area, and ADA accessible restrooms were completed in 2004 due to a Library Services and Technology grant written by Librarian Crawford. The $70,875 grant was matched 50/50 by the City of Watonga. The addition of dedicated program space has allowed the library to expand programming in the community. A dedication ceremony was held on July 17, 2004 with 109 attending.
The Library Today
Today the library holds thousands of items including books for adults and children, audio books, microfilm, and movies. The library also provides information on a broad range of topics in areas of interest to the community. Databases are available which provide full text articles from thousands of magazines and newspapers. The library provides access to downloadable audio and ebooks, and can provide services such as faxing, scanning, laminating, copying, and help with computer instruction and Internet.